MSc (Ibadan) PhD (Pretoria)
Research Professor and Leader of the Medicinal Plants and Economic Development (MPED) Research Center
First recipient of the Vice Chancellor's Senior Research medal and one of the currently most cited scientists in Pharmacology and Toxicology.
Contact: MPED Research Center
Botany Department - 3rd Floor
University of Fort Hare
Alice, South Africa
Ph: +27 (0)40 602-2323, Mobile: +27 (0)82-202-2167
In addition to being a Research Professor in the Department, with the usual associated duties, I lead the Medicinal Plants and Economic Development (MPED) Research Center, consisting of academic staff and many PhD, MSc and Honours students including Postdoctoral Fellows. Our research is focused on high valued plants which could be medicinal, aromatic or economic plants. My area of specialization is in ethno-phytomedicine which includes the extraction, isolation, purification and structural elucidation of bioactive compounds and essential oils from plants that have been implicated in herbal medicine. I am also the current Acting Director of the Central Analytical Laboratory (CAL) of the University. CAL provides professional analytical services for the University of Fort Hare and other educational institutions within and outside of South Africa.
Some of my recent publications are:
1. Otang WM and AJ Afolayan (2016). Antimicrobial and antioxidant efficacy of Citrus limon L. peel extracts used for skin diseases by Xhosa tribe of Amathole District, Eastern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Botany, 102: 46-49
2. Asowata-Ayodele AM, AJ Afolayan and GA Otunola (2016). Ethnobotanical survey of culinary herbs and spices used in the traditional medicinal system of Nkonkobe Municipality, Eastern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Botany, 104:69-75.
3. Ajayi EO, AP Sadimenko and AJ Afolayan (2016). GC–MS evaluation of Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf oil obtained using modified hydrodistillation and microwave extraction methods. Food Chemistry 209:262–266.
4. Lawal IO, DS Grierson and AJ Afolayan (2015). Phytochemical and Antioxidant Investigations of Clausena anisata Hook, A South African Medicinal Plant. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, 12(1):28-37.
5. Lawal IO, DS Grierson and AJ Afolayan (2015). The Antibacterial Activity of Clausena anisata Hook, A South African Medicinal Plant. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative medicines, 12(1):23-27
6. Otang WM, DS Grierson and AJ Afolayan (2015). A survey of plants responsible for causing allergic contact dermatitis in the Amathole District, Eastern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Botany, 97:32–39.
7. Wintola OA, S Arowosegbe and AJ Afolayan (2015). Toxicological investigations of Aloe ferox Mill. extracts using Brine shrimp (Artemia salina L.) assay. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 28(2):635-640.
8. Adeyemi OT, Osilesi O, Adebawo OO, Onajobi FD, Oyedem SO and AJ Afolayan (2015). Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP), Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST) and Alanine
9. Aminotransferase (ALT) Activities in Selected Tissues of Rats Fed on Processed Atlantic Horse Mackerel (Trachurus trachurus). Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology, 6: 139-152.
10. Akomolafe SF, Oboh G, Akindahunsi AA and AJ Afolayan (2015). Tetracarpidium conophorum (Mull.Arg) Hutch & Dalziel inhibits FeSO4 -induced lipid peroxidation in rat’s genitals. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 15:57. DOI 10.1186/s12906-015-0547-1.
11. Akomolafe SF, G Oboh, AA Akindahunsi and AJ Afolayan (2015). Antiperoxidative Activity of Tetracarpidium conophorum Leaf Extract in Reproductive Organs of Male Rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Article ID 798491, 8 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/798491
12. Omoruyi G. Idemudia, Alexander P. Sadimenko, Anthony J. Afolayan and Eric C. Hosten (2015). Synthesis and Characterization of Bioactive Acylpyrazolone Sulfanilamides and Their Transition Metal Complexes: Single Crystal Structure of 4-Benzoyl-3-methyl-1-phenyl-2-pyrazolin-5-one Sulfanilamide. Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, Volume 2015, Article ID 717089, 14 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/717089
13. O.T. Adeyemi, O. Osilesi, F. D. Onajobi, O.O. Adebawo, S.O Oyedemi and A. J. Afolayan (2015). Evaluation of the Levels of Reactive Dicarbonyl Compounds & polyaromatic Hydrocarbons in Processed Atlantic Horse Mackerel (Trachurus trachurus. African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, l 7 (2): 84 - 91. DOI:10.1080/20421338.2015.1023641
14. Gloria A. Otunola and Anthony J. Afolayan (2015). Antidiabetic effect of combined spices of Allium sativum, Zingiber officinale and Capsicum frutescens in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Frontiers in Life Science, 2015. 10 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21553769.2015.1053628
15. Olubunmi J Sharaibi, Oluwatoyin T Ogundipe, Olubunmi A Magbagbeola, Mutiu I Kazeem and Anthony J Afolayan (2015). Acute and Sub-acute Toxicity Profile of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Nymphaea lotus Linn (Nymphaeaceae) in Wistar Rats. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research July 2015; 14 (7): 1231-1238. ttp://dx.doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v14i7.16
16. Rowland Monday Ojo Kayode and Anthony Jide Afolayan (2015). Cytotoxicity and effect of extraction methods on the chemical composition of essential oils of Moringa oleifera seeds. Journal of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE B (Biomedicine & Biotechnology), 2015: 16(8):680-689.
17. Olubunmi A. Wintola and Anthony J. Afolayan (2015). An inventory of indigenous plants used as anthelmintics in Amathole District Municipality of the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, 12(4):112-121.
18. Gbadamosi IT and AJ Afolayan (2015). Antagonistic activity of Solanum nigrum (L.) extracts against causative organisms of diarrhoeal diseases. New York Science Journal, 8(4):43-46. http://www.sciencepub.net/newyork
19. Wintola OA and AJ Afolayan (2015). The antibacterial, phytochemicals and antioxidants evaluation of the root extracts of Hydnora africanaThunb. used as antidysenteric in Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2015) 15:307, DOI 10.1186/s12906-015-0835-9 (12 pages)
20. Olajuyigbe OO and AJ Afolayan (2015). In vitro Synergy and Time-kill Assessment of Interaction between Kanamycin and Metronidazole against Resistant Bacteria. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 14(5): 837-843.
21. Kibiti CM and AJ Afolayan (2015). Herbal therapy: A review of emerging pharmacological tools in the management of diabetes mellitus in Africa. Pharmacognosy Magazine, 11:258-274.
22. Bvenura C and AJ Afolayan (2015). The role of wild vegetables in household food security in South Africa: A review. Food Research International, 76 (2015): 1001–1011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2015.06.013
23. Gerda Fouche, Anthony J. Afolayan, Olubunmi A. Wintola, Tendani E. Khorombi and Jeremiah Senabe (2015). Effect of the aqueous extract of the aerial parts of Monsonia angustifolia E. Mey. Ex A. Rich., on the sexual behaviour of male Wistar rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2015) 15:343
24. Kibiti CM and AJ Afolayan (2015). Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and Biological Activities of Bulbine abyssinica Used in the Folk Medicine in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Volume 2015, Article ID 617607, 12 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/617607
25. Kibiti CM and AJ Afolayan (2015). Ultrastructural micromorphology of Bulbine abyssinica A. Rich. growing in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 47(5): 1929-1935.
26. Kibiti CM and AJ Afolayan (2015). The Biochemical Role of Macro and Micro-Minerals in the Management of Diabetes Mellitus and its Associated Complications: A Review. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, 85 (1-2): 88-103.
27. Odeyemi S, AJ Afolayan and G Bradley (2015). In vitro anti-inflammatory and free radical scavenging activities of crude saponins extracted from Albuca bracteata Jacq. Bulb. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, 12(4):34-40.
28. Olorunnisola OS, Afolayan AJ, Adetutu A. (2015). Sub-chronic administration of methanolic whole fruit extract of lagenaria breviflora (Benth.) roberty induces mild toxicity in rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine; 11:516-521.
29. Akomolafe SF, G Oboh, AA Akindahunsi and AJ Afolayan (2015). Tetracarpidium conophorum ameliorates oxidative reproductive toxicity induced by ethanol in male rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2015) 15:439